Saturday, January 13, 2018

Things That Strengthen Me in the Motherhood Journey

  Are any other Mamas out there feeling a little cabin fever as you dwell indoors with your children through the cold of the winter months?  I have noticed that winter presents my days with a unique challenge that we don't have for most of the year here in Texas.  This winter especially we have been cooped up indoors day after day with one round after another of illness in our family.  With seven children in the home it can start to feel like the walls are closing in on me even though we live in a large house.  So, I was thinking about what are some of the things that I do to refresh my own soul during the bleak days of winter.  Not all of these will be profound, but they are little things that help me through the long days and give me little joys and comforts.  
  I have found that when I am busy focusing on ministering to others that I am able to maintain a better perspective on what really matters.  As I study, write, podcast, etc. I am renewing my own mind as I try to offer encouragement to my readers and listeners.  When I go back and read my book I am reminded of kingdom priorities, and as I record podcasts it renews vision in my own heart for the things I am sharing.  One reason I love to write and speak is that it strengthens my heart as I seek to minister to others.  Maybe this is part of what the Scripture means when it says, "Give and it will be given to you."  - Luke 6:38 


 It is of paramount importance that I keep my soul fed spiritually through God's Word and substantial books that will stretch me to greater spiritual maturity.  I have a Bible App on my phone, and it has helped me to get more Scripture in on a daily basis.  I can listen as I get ready for the day, as I fold laundry, drive in the car, etc.  Last year I was able to go through the Bible one and a half times by listening instead of reading.  Reading is important as well, but this has been a neat way for me to get more Scripture in during this season of busy motherhood.  Along with my Bible I also love to have a good devotional book going.  Currently I am enjoying going through a classic called "Mornings and Evening" by Charles Spurgeon.  




   I LOVE listening to encouraging podcasts.  Sometimes these can be such a shot in the arm to encourage me along when I'm feeling battle weary.  Some you might want to check out are: 


There are many more, but that is a start on some that might be an encouragement to a busy mama needing to be refueled especially during these winter months.  :) 

  Another suggestion I have is to have some kind of Bible study going on with a friend who inspires you in the Lord.  For me that is currently a book study I am doing with a friend from out of state. We have a book we are reading through and then we email each other with our insights from each chapter.  This doesn't happen every week, as we are both busy Mamas, but we work with each other with a lot of flexibility. Whenever we have a lapse of time in our study we just pick up where we left off.  This interacting with my friend has been very fortifying and encouraging to my Mama heart.  


 I SO appreciate the gift my husband gave me this Christmas!  I am LOVING having this radio/cd player in the kitchen where I can play sacred music that puts a song in my heart as I go about the daily duties of keeping a home.  Somehow having God honoring music has a way of lifting heaviness of heart and putting a spring in my step as I do my chores.  I should have had this player years ago; I am just enjoying it so much!!!  


  Speaking of books, I also feel encouraged by good read alouds I do with my children during our morning circle time.  I often learn so much from the books we read together. We are currently reading through this gem of a book that teaches a strong lesson on the importance of forgiveness.  


  Church is certainly an important place for our batteries to be recharged as we take a day to slow down and focus on worship, fellowship with other believers, and sit under the teaching of God's Word.  I am thankful that we are given the grace of the body of Christ to strengthen us and that we  don't have to journey through life alone.  This is such an incredible blessing!  


  Mamas, I use Lilla Rose hair accessories on a daily basis.  My Flexi Clips are my favorites, and I usually twist my hair up and stick one in every morning.  Some days I just stick one into a pony tail, but either way I get my hair up off my face so that I can be busy and not worry with my hair.  I can take a Flexi and throw up my hair without even looking in the mirror.  It is as easy as sticking a plastic claw in but much more comfortable and certainly prettier.  If you want to learn more about  durable, flexible, comfortable Lilla Rose hair jewelry see my link on the sidebar.  My girls and I LOVE these accessories.  


  Now just a few more things I do to refresh my stamina on these busy days of motherhood; I try to drink a lot of water and add fresh mint leaves for a refreshing flavor.  I enjoy growing different flavors of mint with my favorites being Sweet Mint and Apple Mint.  Yummy!  
  I also diffuse essential oils next to my bed when I rest.  I LOVE Lavender; it is one of my favorites. Of course I am a believer in diffusing Thieves when fighting illness as well.  Lavender has a calming effect for me, and I also play calming sacred instrumental music next to my bed when I rest.  I will even let it play as I read at night and then turn it off as I go to sleep.  The calming effects of sacred music and essential oils help me relax and unwind.  Sometimes I can be wound up pretty tight from a stressful day, and it helps to end my day with sacred songs and reading an evening devotional before bed.  
  In the day I like to try to go out at least once or twice a day to breathe in fresh air.  My excuse to do this is often to take table scraps to our chickens.  They get all worked up when they see me coming, and it changes the pace for me and just feels good to see my ladies scampering about enjoying the scraps I feed them.  The sunshine and fresh air help lift my mood too.  
  Another thing that helps is to have a date night planned with my hubby.  Sometimes that is an in house date.  That would be where I go get some take out food and bring it home for us to eat after the children go to bed.  Other times we go out to a restaurant together.  Either way it is very important, in this crazy busy season of life, for us to have time to connect without constant interruptions.  It helps so much to have my hubby hear my heart and be able to talk through important decisions that are constantly rolling around in my head.  It is important to me that I work at keeping our marriage healthy, because one day this busy season of motherhood will be over, and I want to be left with a healthy marriage when it come back around to just the two of us.  
  I have found that knowing what I am going to prepare for dinner is so helpful!  It is a horrible feeling to get to the end of the day and not know what to make for dinner.  I have been in that situation one too many times, and so I always try to think ahead in the morning and make sure I know what our dinner will be.  I used to be a Crock Pot gal, but I have fallen in love with the Instant Pot which is a Crock Pot, Pressure Cooker, Rice Cooker, and so much more!  If you have not looked into it do yourself a big favor and check it out.  I LOVE filling mine with frozen chicken breasts and shredding up the chicken for tacos and then freezing the rest of the meat for another night's dinner.  It is so helpful!  
  My last thought for this post is just to mention that I do love having a cup of coffee first thing in the morning.  It helps motivate me to get up and moving, and after that I go to my mint flavored water.  I also enjoy drinking various herbal teas especially in the evenings.  
  Ladies, I know that the days can be long especially in the cold of winter but spring is on its way!!!   I look forward to throwing the windows open and allowing the children to run outside and get cooped up energy out.  Let's stay faithful persevering in the strength that only Jesus can supply.  Let's stay closely connected to the vine knowing that Jesus said, "Apart from me you can do nothing." - John 15:5  Let's be Word saturated, prayed up Mamas and remember to take care of ourselves by getting fresh air, rest, plenty of water, and feeding our souls with God's Word.  I hope some of these ideas are encouraging. We're in this together persevering for the glory of our Lord and Savior.  May those who come behind us find us faithful.  
  









2 comments:

  1. For me, days spent inside are okay. But I still find the need to get some time to recharge my batteries. I might have to try listening to some podcasts. Thanks for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristen, thank you for your comment. I have really enjoyed listening to podcasts as a shot in the arm when I need some encouragement. :)

      Delete