Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Finding Strength Through Abiding in Him

In my last post I told about how I recently published a book telling the story of my legacy being homeschooled in the pioneer days of the homeschooling movement and my vision now in homeschooling my own seven children.


  I have prayed and continue to pray that the Lord will use this book to offer life-giving hope to Mamas who want to disciple their children in the ways of the Lord.  There is so much in the culture that can cause us to fear and grow discouraged.  In Christ we have eternal hope, and when we go back to His Word we are reminded that: 

"He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world." - I John 4:4

  I have also been thinking a lot about abiding in the vine as we read about in John chapter fifteen.  

“I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples. As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. 10 If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love. 11 These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full."  John 15:1-11 

  I am painfully aware of the fact that I can do nothing of lasting, eternal worth apart from abiding in the vine.  Jesus is the vine, and so I must draw my strength from Him.  As a mother I do not want to be a withering branch that is thrown away and useless!  How many times have I felt so parched and dry....sadly too many to recount.   As busy Mamas we must continue to abide in Him so that we will bear spiritual fruit.  Verse eleven tells us that the end result is joy!  

"These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full." - John 15:11 

  In all honesty, joy is not always easy to come by.  It is so easy to be exhausted and stressed and totally miss the joy of the Lord.  This reminds me of Nehemiah 8:10 that says: 

"The joy of the Lord is your strength."



  So it is my desire to abide more in the vine and to experience more of His joy which will be my  strength.  I have been so encouraged by some of the sweet feedback I have received from Mamas who have read the book.  I hope to share some of that soon.  For now be encouraged, Mamas.  We will receive His JOY when we abide in Him, and in turn His JOY will be our strength.  In closing, this is such a powerful verse for us to always keep before us as we minister to our families in our homes:

"And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up." - Galatians 6:9

My book "Legacy Reflections of a Homeschooled, Homeschooling Mama can be found on Amazon in both paperback and Kindle versions and also at other major book sellers.  

https://www.amazon.com/Legacy-Reflections-Homeschooled-Homeschooling-Mama/dp/1973737825/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511297186&sr=8-1&keywords=legacy+reflections+of+a+homeschooled+homeschooling+mama

No comments:

Post a Comment