Saturday, July 14, 2018

Building Family Libraries Containing Stories of Virtue and Truth Part 2

Hello Friends, last week I posted a blog post titled Building a Family Library of Virtuous Books.  I was really shocked at how many people visited that particular post.  It was an exponential explosion of the number of visits I typically get on a given post.  This really opened my eyes that a lot of people are interested in this topic.  I hope to continue posting ideas on how we can build family libraries, filling our shelves with stories of virtue and truth.

Image result for if anything be of virtue think on these things

  This topic is especially fixed in my mind as I am hearing more and more about the liberal agendas the American Library Association is pushing.  My childhood memories take me back to a time where library visits were for the most part a safe and educational experience.  I remember just loving to go to the library and having only good and wholesome memories of my visits there.  
  When I began having babies I really wanted to make good books a part of our family culture, and I took frequent trips to our local library bringing home bags full of fun picture books to read with my little people.  We also attended many story time events where we would enjoy a themed lesson, activities, songs, crafts, etc.  These are sweet memories of times spent with my older children when they were younger.
Image result for reading winnie the pooh books

  As our family grew, however, library trips became harder as we moved a good distance away from a local library.  So, over time we began building our own family library and quit visiting local libraries as often.  I tried a few times to find a way to make the library still fit into our routine, but it was too much time and effort.  It seemed that we would always lose a book, tear a book or something that would stress me out and cost us money.  Over time we just stepped away from the library.  

  Then last summer we bought a vacation house, in a small town, with a library that is within walking distance from our house.   I was very excited about the potential to visit a library again when we spend time at our vacation house.  I remember visiting this quaint little library and being disappointed that I was having trouble finding the kinds of books I have worked so hard at filling our family library with.  I was seeing a lot of twaddly stories, cartoon and Disney stories, etc. but not a lot of really good literature that stretches the mind and inspires the heart.

Image result for books

  My oldest daughter also took at trip there one afternoon and came back telling me she just wasn't finding many books she felt were worth reading.  I guess over time we have cultivated an appetite for stories that convey beauty, truth, and virtue.  We are not looking to just fill our minds and hearts with fluff; instead we want the stories we read to grow us and sharpen us.  We have learned to really pick out the worldview in stories and want to read things that give us a correct epistemology, metaphysic, and Biblical ethic.
  Now my point in this post is not to condemn going to the library or to tell you what you should or shouldn't do in your family.  My goal is to raise awareness that if you do visit your local library, you need to be very vigilant and aware of the agendas the ALA has adopted.  I would also encourage you to be vocal and tell your librarians that you do not want to see books that promote lifestyles that are against God's Word sitting next to Winnie the Pooh on your library shelves.  
  Have you heard the recent news about how the American Library Service to Children Board voted to change the name of the Laura Ingalls Wilder Award to the Children's Literature Legacy Award?  
I found this statement at the ala.org website.

Image result for laura ingalls wilder award

At its meeting on Saturday, June 23, 2018, the Association for Library Service to Children Board voted to change the name of the Laura Ingalls Wilder Award to the Children's Literature Legacy Award.

This decision was made in consideration of the fact that Wilder’s legacy, as represented by her body of work, includes expressions of stereotypical attitudes inconsistent with ALSC’s core values of inclusiveness, integrity and respect, and responsiveness. Please read the background document that informs this decision (PDF). Additional background information is found in the 2018 Midwinter Board Action Request form (PDF). 
Image result for little house on the prairie






  So while the ALA is seeking to erase history and a sweet story of family values they are deciding to encourage drag queen story times in local libraries to educate young children in their liberal agendas.  I truly cannot even fathom that this is happening.  I wonder what kind of a world am I raising my children in and what will the future hold?  

  This is a link where you can see what is happening in Houston libraries to indoctrinate young children into thinking what God calls perversion is acceptable.  My friends, I just want you to be aware of the agenda the American Library Association is pushing.  This has become what the library is about.  Sadly, I no longer feel that the library is a safe place for my children.
Image result for drag queen story time


https://www.khou.com/article/features/houston-heights-library-debuts-drag-queen-storytime/285-572854932

  I really dislike posting this kind of thing.  My heart is screaming, "Oh God, please save our nation and our children."  My heart feels so heavy and broken over what the sexual revolution, humanism, and atheism have done to the culture.  May we all find hope in praying for God's mercies.  


Image result for if my people who are called by my name

  In light of all of this I am thankful that the Lord led our family to begin building a family library of virtuous reading years ago.  Each year we add more books to our family library, and I hope that one day these stories of faith and truth will be passed down to my grandchildren.  The day could potentially come where it might be hard to find stories that convey a Biblical worldview, and so I think now is a great time to be building a library that can be passed down through the generations.  
  Last week I shared some book recommendations, and I want to close out this post by sharing some more suggestions of books you might consider for your family library.  


Image result for ywam missionary stories
Christian Heroes: Then and Now

Just recently we purchased this entire set of missionary and heroes of the faith biographies.  I encourage you to check into it for your family bookshelf.  It is a huge set of books that portray the real lives of men and women who loved God and sought His kingdom.  There is also a similar picture book series for younger children.  You can also get these titles in an audio version.  We bought the entire set, because we want our children to be familiar with the heroes of the faith and inspired by those who gave their all for the cause of Christ.  

Katharine von Bora the Morning Star of Wittenberg

Katharine von Bora: The Morning Star of Wittenberg   -     By: Jenna Strackbein, Shanna Strackbein

  Last year we attended a conference where I came across this beautiful jewel of a book.  It tells the story of Martin Luther's wife, Katharine Von Bora.  It is beautifully illustrated, and shares the story of a devoted wife and mother and how she opened her home to hospitality and encouraged her husband as he played a pivotal role in history.  It is a precious and encouraging story!  

Stepping Heavenward
Image result for stepping heavenward

"Stepping Heavenward" is a story I read as a young lady, and I have since read it several times.  It makes a great mother/daughter read-aloud as it chronicles the life of young Elizabeth Prentiss and shares her journey into marriage and motherhood.  It is an honest look her struggles through the decades of her life as she learns to submit to and trust her Lord.  Parts will make you laugh, and most women can probably relate to many of her emotions.  I read through it with my oldest daughter some years back and would love to read through it again with my younger girls.  

Hymns for a Kid's Heart

I'm going to give one more recommendation for this blog post, and then hopefully I will be able to continue with this series later.  



"Hymns for a Kid's Heart" is a beautiful series of stories behind the hymns illustrated for children.  It is a series meant to familiarize children with the hymns of the faith.  The books come with a listening cd so that children can learn how the hymns sound.  I think this is a needed resource in our day when many children are growing up not learning the great hymns of the faith.  If you have read my book "Legacy Reflections of a Homeschooled Homeschooling Mama" https://www.amazon.com/Legacy-Reflections-Homeschooled-Homeschooling-Mama/dp/1973737825 then you will know that my husband and I are making a real effort to pass the hymns of the faith on to our children as an endowment.  We want our children to have the same friendship with the hymns that we have had.  The hymns have walked with us through various seasons of life and have been a strength to our hearts.  There are some good modern-day songs, but there is something very special about the hymns of the faith that connect us with the wisdom of the saints from centuries past.  I would highly encourage you towards these hymn resources.  
  I hope that you all have a blessed week.  I believe that as we seek the Lord and His wisdom, He will help us to discern good resources to grow our families in wisdom, virtue, and faith.  I would love to hear some of your suggestions for virtuous, faith-building read-alouds.  

1 comment:

  1. What a sad thing that you no longer take your children to the library. I think the book of hymns for children looks very interesting. I have one on the back-story of many adult hymns and I have enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete