Monday, August 6, 2018

Sewing Skirts with my Daughters!

The last two weeks I have been busy at work with my girls making new skirts.  They LOVE to do sewing projects with me, and I love imparting skills to them that they can use throughout their lives.  I am thankful for how my mom taught me basic sewing skills and now I am endeavoring to pass these skills on to my daughters.


 We have one skirt pattern that we have revisited over and over.  It is the Kitty Mae gored skirt by Marie Madelleine https://www.etsy.com/listing/85604923/kitty-mae-skirts-pattern-with-applique?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_b-craft_supplies_and_tools-patterns_and_how_to-other&utm_custom1=c4103867-5d57-4fc2-9d56-99322eac6554&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIraSUm6bX3AIVBjBpCh19UgpYEAkYAyABEgJgYfD_BwE  Through the years we have had fun making this twelve-gore skirt in various fabric combinations, and the girls love the way they can spin and twirl in these lovely skirts.  :)  






  After making so many of these skirts with my girls,  I find myself wondering if I will one day be making these for future granddaughters.  These really are a lot of fun to make!  They can take some time due to the amount of gores that have to be pieced together and then adding the yoke and waist band, but we have learned to do these in an assembly line.  It helps that I have daughters old enough to be doing different parts of the process as we go.  At one point I had one girl sewing gores together while another daughter was ironing out the seams and I was serging the seams.  
  These can come out looking very different based upon the fabric combinations used.  For these I used six different fabrics twice, but you could also do something like use four different fabrics three times each.  Another idea is to use two different fabrics alternating every other gore.  Anyway you make these, they are lovely and have lasted my girls for years.  

  A much faster project we have been working on has been simple A-line skirts with an elastic stretchy band.  I just learned how to make these kind of waist bands, and I think they are a great way to put in a waist band quickly!  I found the wide, stretchy elastic for these skirts at Walmart.  



  I used this link to understand how to sew the band onto the skirt.  http://www.cucicucicoo.com/2016/02/sew-an-exposed-elastic-waistband/  The fabric we used has a denim feel, and the print has many fun colors.  The girls will be able to wear many different colors of shirts with these skirts.  Also,  I think this print will not show stains very easily, so that is a huge positive.  Do you have any skirt patterns that you particularly love?  I would love to hear about/see pictures of your projects!  Blessings to you all!  

Image result for bible verse about sewing


10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura! We had fun making them. :)

      Delete
  2. This sounds like fun! My daughter and I use to do projects like this together but we have gotten out of the habit. I love the twirl picture. I bet the best part is the treasured memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you; it was fun to see the skirts come together. These skirts do have some serious twirl factor. :) The girls love them because of the way they twirl and because they are easy to move around in. :)

      Delete
  3. Fantastic! What lovely skills to be learning.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO cute! My mom taught me to sew too and I remember making all my prom dresses with her, a few rompers and assorted clothing items too. It's not a skill I use much anymore but I am so thankful that I do know how to sew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I am thankful that my mother taught me as well. I learned just enough to be able to move forward in learning more with my daughters. I have learned a lot through trial and error. :) Maybe one day they will take what I am teaching them and become more skilled than I am. I still have much to learn.

      Delete
  5. Those look wonderful! I love that your daughters sew right along with you. I so wish my mother had taught me to sew. That is a skill I would love to be able to pass along to my daughters. Especially because it is so hard to find modest clothing for them in the stores.
    Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing on Littles Learning Link Up over at Tots and Me. Your post was quite popular, and is featured as this week's "post with the most clicks."
    Have a wonderful, blessed day, and I hope you will find time to stop by again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I appreciate you featuring my post on your website. Thank you for the encouragement. :)

      Delete