Sunday, January 17, 2010

A New Discipline for a New Year



I have been so challenged by the teaching minstry of Nancy Leigh DeMoss on Revive Our Hearts. She recently interviewed a lady who has made it her practice to memorize Scripture for all of her adult life. This lady has the Word of God oozing forth in her speech. She told how having God's Word hidden in her heart has helped her be a better mother raising her four children, has helped her witness, and of course has blessed her in her own Spiritual walk with the Lord. Now this lady is a grandmother and is teaching her grandchildren to memorize God's Word. Well, I felt really inspired to begin picking up Scripture memorization again. It is the very Word of God that I am trying to place within my heart. His Words are powerful and do not return void. Many times I feel inadequate to do all that I know I need to do and be. I know that memorizing God's Word will increase my steadfastness even in the weary moments. If we do not feed our physical bodies nourishing foods they grow unhealthy and weak. In the same way, if we DO feed our souls with spiritual nourishment we will be energized in doing what is good and right. So, this is something I am working at in this new year. I am working on verses out of I Peter chapter one. Here are a few of the verses:

"For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love. For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ." I Peter 1:5-8

Here is the link for the Revive Our Hearts ministry; I recommend it to everyone as I am so encouraged by it.

www.reviveourhearts.com

1 comment:

  1. Ruth, What a great challenge for this year. You have also reminded me to listen to Nancy online.
    Thanks!
    Marie

    ReplyDelete