Sunday, April 28, 2013

Do the Next Thing

I never have enough time to accomplish all that I think I need to accomplish.  Especially these days as I am growing larger and getting around is getting harder.  :)  Here is an encouraging word in poetry from dear Elizabeth Elliott.


From an old English parsonage down by the sea
There came in the twilight a message to me;
Its quaint Saxon legend, deeply engraven,
Hath, it seems to me, teaching from Heaven.
And on through the doors the quiet words ring
Like a low inspiration: “Do the next thing.”



Many a questioning, many a fear,
Many a doubt, hath its quieting here.
Moment by moment, let down from Heaven,
Time, opportunity, and guidance are given.
Fear not tomorrows, child of the King,
Trust them with Jesus, do the next thing.


Do it immediately, do it with prayer;
Do it reliantly, casting all care;
Do it with reverence, tracing His hand
Who placed it before thee with earnest command.
Stayed on Omnipotence, safe ‘neath His wing,
Leave all results, do the next thing.


Looking for Jesus, ever serener,
Working or suffering, be thy demeanor;
In His dear presence, the rest of His calm,
The light of His countenance be thy psalm,
Strong in His faithfulness, praise and sing.
Then, as He beckons thee, do the next thing.

-Elisabeth Elliot

4 comments:

  1. Ruth, what an encouraging poem! I REALLY needed to hear that today. So often I feel exactly the same as you. Thinking, " There's so much to do, what do I focus on next?" I know that when I keep my eyes on Jesus, He always shows me what's most important. It's when I try to do it all in my own strength that I get weighed down and overwhelmed. He's such an awesome God isn't he?! It's great to hear that you're expecting again, do you mind sharing when the baby is due? Just curious...I'm still praying God will give my husband a desire for more children. It's been in my heart for several years now. I'll be praying for a healthy labor and delivery for you Ruth! May God bless you and keep you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth, what an encouraging poem! I REALLY needed to hear that today. So often I feel exactly the same as you. Thinking, " There's so much to do, what do I focus on next?" I know that when I keep my eyes on Jesus, He always shows me what's most important. It's when I try to do it all in my own strength that I get weighed down and overwhelmed. He's such an awesome God isn't he?! It's great to hear that you're expecting again, do you mind sharing when the baby is due? Just curious...I'm still praying God will give my husband a desire for more children. It's been in my heart for several years now. I'll be praying for a healthy labor and delivery for you Ruth! May God bless you and keep you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara,
    Thank you for your encouraging comment. Yes, we do have an awesome God. I often become overwhelmed but then remember that being in a place where I have to depend upon God moment by moment is a great place to be. If I could handle it all on my own I would not rely upon Him as I should. I am in process of learning this and have to keep being reminded.
    Thank you for asking about my pregnancy. I am due August tenth. Thank you for your prayers for me! I prayed for you this afternoon with your desire for more children. I prayed specifically that you and your husband will have a united heart according to the Lord's will for your family. I am encouraged to see your heart for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I know!! Relying on Him moment by moment is the exact lesson I'm learning too! It's a difficult one, isn't it? So often I get distracted and lose me focus, and later realize what a mess I've made. But praise God for His mercy and grace! He's so amazing! He gives me chance after chance to try again. I don't know where I'd be without Him. Ruth, I'm so blessed to know you're praying for me and my family. So many times I feel like God doesn't hear my prayers and that things will never change, but I know deep down that God has so much in store for us! I can't wait to see what He'll do next! Thank you Ruth, thank you so much. And my brothers birthday is August the 12th, so that's a good month! Hehe...I'll continue to pray for you and your family Ruth. Have a blessed day today.

    ReplyDelete