Friday, July 1, 2011

Questions to Ponder


There are clear cut, black and white areas in Scripture and then there are areas that are not so clearly defined. Sometimes it is hard to know where to land on those "gray areas."
I recently heard a message by John MacArthur that had some wise insights on how to discern right from wrong and how to make wise beneficial decisions. I thought I would share some of his points. He said it is good to ask the following questions when trying to evaluate what is wise and best.

Will It Be Spiritually Profitable?

"All things are lawful for me," but not all things are helpful. "All things are lawful for me," but I will not be enslaved by anything."

The question I should ask myself should not be, "Can I do this and get away with it. Rather I should ask, "Will this be spiritually profitable?"

The next question is, "Will this build me up?" Will this thing, activity, etc. build my spiritual strength? Some things are beneficial and some are just a waste of time. Life is short, so it is wise to use my time on things that build me up and further God's kingdom purposes.

"Will it slow me down in the race?"

"Therefore since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and sin which clings so closely and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith." Hebrews 12:1-2

"Will it bring me into bondage?" Will this thing bring me into an imbalance in some area in my life or become an idol to me?

The answers to these questions may vary for different people and circumstances. These questions are a good guide on those gray areas where believers differ on their personal convictions. We can each take these questions before the Lord when evaluating any given situation or thing in question.

No comments:

Post a Comment