Sunday, July 3, 2011
Seven Quick Takes
It has been awhile since I did a Seven Quick Takes but here goes:
1. We are all SEVEN of us currently sniffly. Lilly Faith has been teething over the past week, and Daddy and Mama have had many rough nights. Now we all have a cold. It really makes you appreciate the times when the family is well.
2. After two estimates from two different companies we have decided to bite the bullet and have shutters put in all the windows. After a year of many windows with no coverings we are finally going to have privacy in our home. That is a good thing. I am grateful.
3. I have been reading through II Kings about the many kings whose hearts were not turned towards the Lord. Some of the kings did have hearts turned towards the Lord but did not tear down the high places. It makes me ponder our own christian culture and how many times we as believers love the Lord and yet still have "high places of idolatry in our lives." It is a good self check.
4. What has the Lord been teaching me lately? Well, I really think He is showing me that curriculum is a good, helpful resource in our homeschooling adventure but not the most important thing. If you look at Detuteronomy 6 it says, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul an with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them DILIGENTLY to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates."
This is what the Lord asks His people to teach their children; the ways of the Lord. I am finally realizing that God's Word should be the core of our curriculum that everything else flows out of. I have leaned too heavily on curriculum and worried too much about what curriculum I should purchase, etc. I have worried if I have not completed the whole program in its entirety. Many times we have rushed through Bible to get to "SCHOOL." The Lord is challenging me in this area and showing me that if we "Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness ALL THESE THINGS will be added." Matt 6:33. In way of application I am finally seeing our time in God's Word, at the start of our day, as THE MOST IMPORTANT THING. We are taking that time to read His Word, work through character building books, sing our hymn of the week, and talk to God about what is going on in our family. Yes, it is taking time and perseverance to get through all of that when so many other things are calling, but I am finding it very rewarding. I am seeing fruit and encouraged by it.
5. Lilly Faith will be turning one year old on Friday. I do not know where the year went, but I do know that she is such a precious gift from the Lord. I love her gentle sweetness.
6. I have been reading the Duggars new book "A Love That Multiplies." There have been many very helpful and practical ideas in it. The thing I LOVE is their emphasis on teaching their children to love God, know His Word, and serve others. They are an amazing family, and the Lord has given them an incredible platform to share their faith with the world.
7. Some of our Crepe Myrtle trees and bushes have begun blooming this past week. We planted them after Christmas, and it is so exciting to see the beautiful blossoms. One of those little joys in life when we take the time to really see.
Have a blessed week, everyone!