Wednesday, January 20, 2016

A Birth Story of God's Faithfulness Part Three

After Ella Ruth's eventful birth I spent some time in recovery where I was able to have Ella Ruth placed next to me for a bit.  I don't remember too much about recovery other than the sweetness of knowing my baby was next to me, drifting in and out of sleep and being very comfy under the heated blow up blanket covering me.  The other thing I remember is thinking how handsome my husband was to me.  There he was wearing his scrubs holding our baby and taking such good care of everything.  When I woke up and saw him what I saw was a man full of love and devotion for his family.  His presence was comforting and reassuring after the ordeal I had just been through.


At some point I was taken to a normal postpartum room, and we expected things to stabilize.  I was in for a surprise, however, when I first tried to get up to go to the bathroom.  I was unprepared for the abdominal pain I had from the caesarean.  After having six normal births and one caesarean let me just say I would NEVER sign up for a caesarean.  The recovery was so much harder!  The incision still feels sore sometimes, and I'm over four months out now.  I remember holding on to Matt and trying to walk across the room.  I could barely move due to the terrible tenderness and soreness.  Even trying to adjust myself in bed or sit up was a sizable feat.  I was just simply in so much pain!  I had never had a major surgery and so I was completely taken off guard by this.  Thankfully I had my wonderful husband there helping me every slow step of the way.  

Ella Ruth roomed in with us so I was able to see and hold my baby girl which was wonderful but also painful.  Holding this sweet little bundle hurt as she pressed up against my incision.  I did the best I could and tried to get the nursing going.  



My incision was very painful as it was a hefty surgery.  The reason Ella Ruth did not stay head down once turned through the version is because I had a fibroid in my uterus.  This fibroid had been there in my last several pregnancies and did not cause a problem.  This time was different.  Ella Ruth could not get past it and thus a caesarean was necessary.  Thankfully my doctor was able to cut the fibroid out during the caesarean which meant I was cut vertically internally and horizontally on my stomach. My doctor did a great job sewing me up and the scar is minimal but I could definitely feel it.  It was way more than your average caesarean.  

I knew it would be a difficult caesarean recovery, but I thought we were past the worst of the upheaval and looked forward to having the rest of our children meet their new sister.  It was a sweet time when the other six children came the next day.  I was so proud of them as they were very sweet and calm.  I think Daddy had prepared them on how they should behave calmly around Mama and their new baby sister.  They were really sweet and we enjoyed a precious family time.  When they left I thought I would see them again in a day or two.  What I did not know is that everything was about to change and I would not see them for many days to come.  



"Behold children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward.Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth.  Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them!" Psalm 127:3-5

  I love this picture, because these seven lives are a huge part of my heartbeat.  I just wish my husband was in there too because he is another huge part of my heartbeat.  Ever since I was a little girl my desire has been to grow up and be a Mama.  I was a baby doll kind of little girl.  I loved my dolls and treated them as real children.  As a young girl I envisioned myself growing up and mothering many babies.  The Lord has graciously granted that desire of my heart after He first granted me the desire of my heart in giving me Matt as the love of my life.  When I consider what I have been given in Matt and our children I feel like a very rich woman.

Pregnancy has been a real struggle for me and has gotten harder as I have grown older.  I have struggled with very painful pregnancies, but even though I have spent years of my life suffering through difficult pregnancies I would not change anything.  I am eternally grateful to be the Mama to these seven blessings.
            

I will close off this post with a song that I had playing while in the hospital and also during my recovery at home.  Because Christ Jesus has saved me I know that I am never alone.  During my hospital stay I spent many nights alone, but my Lord was there with me.  I am so thankful that I am His and He is mine.  Enjoy "Alone Yet Not Alone" sung by Joni Eareckson Tada.    





4 comments:

  1. You are a testimony to the Lord's goodness and faithfulness, Ruth, and there's so much beauty in this story even in the midst of the pain. You are encouraging so many and I'm thankful for the Lord's protection over your life :)

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      It is truly my desire that the goodness of the Lord be put in the spotlight through this telling of His faithfulness. I am thankful for your friendship and encouragement.

      Delete
  2. After surgery the doctor came out and had me sit down so she could explain everything. She said the fibroid was the size of a baseball and was in the way of where she would normally make an incision. This was a big surprise because we had had an ultrasound a month earlier and they said the fibroid had shrunk. Because it was interfering with the cesarean the doctor had to make a T in the uterus. She said that meant Ruth would never be able to have a normal delivery again. She also said they needed to watch her blood count carefully because the surgery took longer than normal which meant Ruth had lost a lot of blood. The doctor said she might have to have a blood transfusion. Little did we know she would require 4 blood transfusions over the next several weeks.
    Ruth was in a lot of pain. They gave her the morphine button so she could dose herself whenever the pain spiked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Matt, for sharing more details. The part that makes me so sad is the Ruth can never have another normal birth but God is in control. He allowed it to happen and all things are for our good and His glory. Thank you for being by my side every step of the journey.

      Delete